I Admit it – I Love My Minivan
Guest Blogger: Xenia of Thanks Mail Carrier
The very first car that I purchased on my own was picked out because it was comfortable, got good gas mileage, had plenty of safety features… but, let’s be honest. The number one reason I chose it was because I thought it was pretty. What can I say? That’s what mattered at the time!
Along with the many other aspects of life that change when you have children, what moms look for when purchasing a car can be drastically different than before. Instead of debating on which color looks sleek and chic, we’re checking to see how easily jelly can be cleaned from the upholstery. Instead of testing how quickly our ride accelerates when we punch the gas, we measure to see if our stroller will fit in the trunk.
Does that mean that our previous qualifications are gone completely? Nope, our priority list has just now changed. For me, the top five things that I love about our last vehicle purchase (a minivan!) include:
1. Space. There’s just no way around it, more family members need more space. While I resisted the idea of a minivan at first, I’ll fully admit that having plenty of room so that car seats aren’t squished together or so that we can easily pick up my girls’ friends is a necessity. No one has to be pressed up next to anyone else and I don’t have to think twice about having room for groceries, bags, gear, storage and more.
2. Convenience. Another minivan aspect that I adore are the automatic doors. By simply pressing a button, the kids are able to hop right in as soon as we’ve arrived. No waiting in the rain, no having to put anything down, no pulling at handles in frustration, no balancing bags or packages to open the trunk.
3. Entertainment. While I originally thought that my children shouldn’t need to be able to watch movies in the car (after all, I made it through my childhood without them), there is no way that I would choose to take a car trip with my kids without the entertainment system if I didn’t have to. Simply pop the disc right in and the bickering, whining and calls of “she touched me!” disappear.
4. Safety. This one hasn’t changed from my earlier car shopping years, however, now the focus is different. Instead of just wanting to know that I will be okay in a crash, I need to know that the absolute, 100% most important people in my life will be as safe as possible. From the airbags to the ease of correctly installing a car seat to every little safety rating, I can rest a little easier knowing that my family is protected in the case of an accident.
5. Reliability. I’ve changed a tire or two and jumped a few dead batteries in my day, but the idea of having to do either one with my kids in tow sends chills down my spine. I need a vehicle that can be trusted to start up every morning and will get us reliably to every appointment, event and function without worry. Life is already too hectic without having to wonder if my car is going to get us where we need to go!
No matter what features are most important to you when buying a car, taking the time and doing the research can end up saving you frustration or problems in the future. While there might not be one vehicle that combines everyone one of your dream aspects (is there one that can make me a cup of coffee or change a diaper on its own yet?) finding the one that works best for you can make life a whole lot easier and more comfortable!
What about you? What do you like or dislike about your car?